Pursuing Excellence for Tomorrow's Challenges
Freedome of Information (FOI) Requests
The South Carolina Freedom of Information Act, S.C. Code Ann. §30-4-10 et. seq. (FOIA) is the law that gives citizens the ability to obtain non-exempt public records/documents from a government agency. FOIA provides a citizen a qualified right to inspect or copy any public record of a public body (District Five), except as exempted in FOIA statute (S.C. Code Ann. §30-4-40)
FOIA (§30-4-30(c)) allows a public body 15 days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and legal public holidays) to notify the person making the FOI request its determination on whether the FOI request is appropriate and can be fulfilled. Once this determination is made, then the District will begin assembling the requested records/documents. FOIA does not require the District to provide the requested documents in the 15-day time frame.
FOIA does not require the public body to create new work product, create or manufacture documents, make statements or provide answers to questions submitted as an FOI request.
FOIA also allows a public body to establish and collect fees not to exceed the actual cost of searching for or making copies of records (see fee schedule below). School District Five has chosen to utilize the following guidelines regarding response to FOIA requests.
- There will be no charge for less than 3 hours of staff time.
- Any staff time required to respond to the FOI request beyond 3 hours will require a fee. The hourly rate established will be the hourly rate (including the cost of benefits) for the actual person doing the work to respond to the FOI request.
- There will be no reproduction charge for a single request for of up to 10 pages. The district’s standard charge per page will be assessed for a single request for reproduction of 11 or more pages.
- The District will notify a person making a request of the estimated charges required to respond to the request before beginning to identify and assemble requested documents.
- The District may require a 25% down payment for FOI requests that have an estimated cost of over $100.00.
To learn more about the Freedom of Information Act click –
If possible, use the online form to the left located under the Freedom of Information Act Request section to make your FOIA request. Or you may click here to access the form.
Chief Information Officer
School District Five of Lexington and Richland Counties
1020 Dutch Fork Road
Irmo, SC 29063