International School for the Arts
Extended Studies Diploma
To be eligible to receive a School District Five Extended Studies Diploma, a student must earn 28 units of credit and perform 10 hours of community service work each year. Students are responsible for annually verifying community service. Verification forms are available in the School Counseling Office and should be submitted annually to the appropriate counselor by May 1st during the 9th, 10th, and 11th grade years, and by February 1st during the senior year. Competitive colleges look for students who have gone above and beyond the minimum requirements. While an Extended Studies Diploma is a local award and does not guarantee college admission, the higher level courses and the extent of commitment required will certainly enhance a student’s profile when applying to college.
EXTENDED STUDIES CREDIT REQUIREMENTSEnglish Language Arts 4Math (including Alg 1, Geometry, Alg 2) 4Lab Science 4U.S. History and Constituition 1Economics 0.5U. S. Government 0.5Elective Social Studies 2World Language (same Language) 3Physical Education or JROTC 1Computer Technology 1CATE or Visual or Performing Art 1Electives 6
The requirement of community service may be met in a variety of ways. Community service projects will take place at times other than during the school day. Examples of typical community service projects include such activities as the following:
- Working with community groups to build homes for families through such groups as Habitat for Humanity
- Volunteering with such groups as Red Cross
- Helping with environmental issues such as Adopt-a- Highway or Keep America Beautiful
- Caring for elderly citizens
- Candy-striping at a hospital
- Working on a clean-up day at an orphanage
- Serving meals with community groups such as Meals on Wheels
- Raising funds to support a community group in such events as Multiple Sclerosis or Cancer Walkathon
- Volunteering at the fire department
- Working with Special Olympics
- Other similar community service projects as approved by the principal or his/her designee.
Please stop by the School Counseling office to get the community service hours verification form or download it here .