Pursuing Excellence for Tomorrow's Challenges
"We Drive District Five"
The mission of the Transportation Department is to provide safe and timely transportation for the students of our district. The Transportation Department is responsible for developing and executing District Five's transportation program in accordance with applicable state and federal laws and to support the policies of District Five. The transportation staff prepares bus routes, conducts bus driver training for school bus drivers and assigns consequences for violations of the Student Behavior Code for student misbehavior when the violation occurred at the school bus stop or while on a school bus or other district vehicles. The Transportation Department also operates the Activity Buses to support the school's sports, band, ROTC and other extracurricular programs within the District.
Importent Notice: Due to COVID-19 the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) and Department of Educaiton through the Office of Transportation has provide us recommendations regarding safety procedures for transporting students to and from school. These procedures are in place until further notice:
- All students and staff are required to wear a mask while on the school bus at all times unless otherwise authorized.
- Student ridership is limited to approx 67% of a school bus rated capacity. Student will not be allowed to ride a bus with friends to mantain seating limitations.
- No more than two students per seat while leaving the first row of seats behind the driver empty.
- Each bus will be disinfected using electrostatice sprayers and an EPA approved disinfectant twice per day; once after completion of the morning routes and once after the completion of the afternoon routes. Frequently touched surfaces areas will be wiped downe between bus routes as well.
- In order to increase air exchange on the bus the air roof vents and windows will be opened as weather allows.
In preparation for the new school year the Transportation Department is working to identify students who have elected to ride the bus upon our return on Sept 8, 2020. Parents who have requested their student to ride the bus through the District Parent Re-entry survey will be assigned a shcool bus based on Cohort assignments. Once buses are assigned, you will be be notified by phone call or email regarding your student's transportation information.
As additional students elect to ride the school bus, bus capacities will become limited. In some cases it may take up to fifteen work days to complete route adjustments before new students are allowed to ride. All buses are capped at a two student per seat ratio, with the first row of seats not being utilized. During any re-routing timeframe parents are expected to provide transportation to and from school for their student(s). If routing changes are completed sooner parents will be notified via email as to when their student(s) will be able to ride the bus.
Email is the preferred method of communication with our office. Please keep in mind that buses are monitored by the office during the morning and afternoon runs and it may be difficult to reach us by telephone during those hours (6:00-8:30 a.m. and 2:00-4:30 p.m.) If you have any questions please contact the appropreate transportation office listed below.
Chapin Transportation: 803-575-5856
Dutch Fork Transportation: 803-476-4990
Irmo Transportation: 803-476-3252
Special Needs Transportation: 803-476-3254
Email: specialneeds firstname.lastname@example.org
In accordance with DHEC and Department of Education guidelines the procedures will be followed:
- All school buses will be fully sanitized twice a day.
- Please visit this link for a video regarding sanitation of school buses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzfKpRwHmwc&feature=youtu.be
- Students are authorized to seat two students per seat. Whenever possible students from the same household will be seated together
- Mask are required for all students while on the school bus. Please see District Five's website for additional details.
Parent please remind your student(s) the importance of social distancing while at the bus stop.
What the bus ride will look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UChgBb-6PUI&feature=youtu.be
Chapin Area Schools:
Cindy Carter, Chapin Transportation Supervisor
Chapin Elementary, Lake Murray Elementary, Chapin Intermediate, Chapin Middle, Chapin High, CATE, Spring Hill High
Irmo Area Schools:
Linda Cook, Irmo Transportation Supervisor
Harbison West Elementary, Irmo Elementary, Leaphart Elementary, Nursery Road Elementary, Seven Oaks Elementary, CrossRoads Intermediate, Irmo Middle, Irmo High, CATE, Spring Hill High
Jake Shealy, Activity Manager
Karen Nesbit, Activity Operations/Scheduling
Department of Transportation
School District Five of
Lexington and Richland Counties
1020 Dutch Fork Rd.
Irmo, SC 29063
Dutch Fork Area Schools
Rhonda Watson, Dutch Fork Transportation Supervisor
Ballentine Elementary, Dutch Fork Elementary, H. E. Corley Elementary, Oak Pointe Elementary, River Springs Elementary, CrossRoads Intermediate, Dutch Fork Middle, Dutch Fork High, CATE, Spring Hill High School
Special Needs Transportation
TBA, Special Needs Supervisor
All schools within District Five
District Transportation Office:
1536 Old Tamah Rd
Irmo, SC 29063
Director of Transportation
School Bus Driver Employment
Please contact Jocelyn Seel for employment information