EXCEL Tuition-based 4K Program
What is District Five's EXCEL 4K Program?
EXCEL (Exposing Children to Early Learning) is a tuition-based pre-kindergarten program for students living inside the Lexington Richland School District 5 boundaries. Four-year-old students will participate in developmentally appropriate, structured learning activities including mathematics, reading, social studies and science. Art, Spanish, PE and other special area courses are also included in the program. This program is housed at Irmo Elementary School.
- EXCEL serves children who are 4 years of age. The child must be 4 on or before September 1 to enter the program.
- The child must be a legal resident of Lexington-Richland School District Five. Proof of residence will be required. If applicable, proof of legal guardianship will be requested from the parent or guardian.
- The child must be toilet trained to be enrolled.
- Parents are required to provide transportation to and from EXCEL.
- EXCEL students will follow the District 5 school calendar.
- After school care is available through our onside Afternoon Safari program run by ICRC for an additional weekly cost.
- Registration dates will be announced in January prior to the August start. Please contact Irmo Elementary at 803-476-4200 for more information.
Families must register for the program by visiting Irmo Elementary School. Three proofs of legal residency, the child’s birth certificate, South Carolina Certificate of Immunization, and a non-refundable registration fee of $185 to Irmo Elementary will be required to enroll. Payments can be made in cash or by check. Families will also need to complete a 4K EXCEL Family contract and complete a 4K Excel application.
Tuition is $6,660.00 for the school year. Tuition covers child care on regular school days from 7:15am – 2:40pm. Program tuition may be paid weekly at $185.00. A payment schedule will be distributed. Payments must be made online using our RyCor system. A late fee of $15.00 will be charged if
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Are the classes taught by a certified teacher?
4K EXCEL is taught by a certified teacher and there is a full-time assistant in the classroom.
What are the class sizes?
There is a minimum/maximum of 20 students in the classroom.
Do students take naps?
There is a student rest period, many students (especially in the beginning of the year) will fall asleep.
How is this different from other programs?
Many of our students have been in full-time programs previously, so we have a mix of academic and maturity levels. Also, our program follows a typical Kindergarten school day, but with more age-appropriate times and activities for a 4-year-old.
Is there much play time during the day?
We do incorporate play into our learning. Many times the student feels like it’s free play, but it’s actually a learning activity.
How do we handle different levels of students?
We are able to ‘meet’ children where they are at using group rotations we can organize at different levels. Children learn as much from peers as from the teacher.