Home of the Pioneers
School Improvement Council (SIC)
On December 13, Joe Ryan will speak to 4th and 5th graders during school and to parents in the evening on Internet Safety .
1st Tuesday, 7:00am*
OPES Office Conference Room
SIC RepresentativesJay Bubar (President)Kelly Tam (Vice President)Michelle Patterson (Secretary)Chrystal BarleyAndrea HarrisZakiya HowellMalisa Johnson (Teacher)Sergey RazinDeputy Chris Wingard
Ex-officio MembersParker Hollister (Teacher of the Year)Chris Lyons (Assistant Principal)Kristie Smith (Principal)Ashley Bubar (PTO President)
*November meeting will be held on November 13
What is the SIC?
- The School Improvement Council (SIC) serves as an advisory committee to a school's principal and faculty.
- Unlike PTA/Os and other voluntary school organizations, councils are mandated by law to exist in every public school in South Carolina.
- SICs play a key role in the education of our state's children, bringing together parents, educators and community stakeholders to work collectively to improve their local schools.
- More than 16,000 people serve on SICs in South Carolina.
- SICs work with the school to develop and implement a five-year school improvement plan (school renewal plan).
- SICs monitor and evaluate success in reaching the plan's goals and objectives.
- SICs write an annual report to parents about the progress of the plan.
- SICs assist the principal in writing the narrative for the School Report Card.
- SICs advise on the use of school incentive awards and provide assistance as requested by the principal.