Enter to Learn - Go Forth to Serve
Class of 2018 Graduation
Who: Class of 2018 and guests
When: June 8, 2018 at 8:00 a.m.
Where: Colonial Life Arena
There is no limit to the number of guests that can attend graduation. Doors at Colonial Life Arena will open at 7:30 a.m. Graduates will need to enter at the loading dock entrance by 7:15 a.m.
May 9, 2018
Dear Parents of Seniors,
It is almost time for graduation, and I know you are very excited about this event. We are very proud of all the graduates of the Class of 2018. This letter should answer all questions that you have about Dutch Fork High School’s graduation ceremony. Please read each bulleted item with your senior.
- Senior Exams are May 29 – June 1. Seniors will be told by their teachers about exam exemption. Please check with individual teachers if you have questions about exemption.
- District Chromebooks. All District Chromebooks, cases and chargers must be returned by Monday, June 4th at noon. Chromebooks will ONLY be collected during the specific collection times. Details about chromebook collection times and procedures are included in the May 7th and May 14th Fox Focus Spotlights and are available on the school website on the Technology page (under Resources). The information is also posted in the Senior Class Google Classroom.
- Senior Celebration is Tuesday, June 5 at 7:00 p.m. All parents of seniors are invited to attend the assembly in the DFHS arena. Please talk with your senior about attending this event because this assembly is a tradition at DFHS and one that all parents and seniors enjoy. The celebration is for all seniors to celebrate this season in their lives as a class; it is not only for honor students.
- Dress Code for Senior Celebration. Senior males should wear a dress shirt and dress slacks (can be khakis). Senior females should wear a dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit with dress shoes or dress sandals. All attire must meet DFHS dress code regulations.
- Graduation Practice is Wednesday, June 6 at 1:00 p.m. in the DFHS Arena. All candidates for graduation must attend this practice. The practice should be over by 3:00 p.m. Attendance for graduation practice is mandatory, but if a student needs to miss the practice for an emergency or extenuating circumstance, the parent of the student must contact Allison Norwood via email at email@example.com.
- Debts. According to District Five Board Policy, a senior who owes any debts to DFHS will not be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony, and the student’s diploma will be held until all debts are paid. All end-of-year debts must be paid in full (cash, check, credit card, or money order) before graduation. The last day to pay debts is Tuesday, June 5 at 2:00 p.m.
- Graduation Requirements. Seniors must have earned all 24 units required for graduation in order to be eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Attendance. A student can be denied credit for a course passed if he or she has exceeded the number of allowable absences in that course. Please check with the attendance office or with Mr. Floyd White if you have concerns about attendance.
- Graduation Supplies. All seniors who plan to participate in the graduation ceremony must have purchased a cap, gown, and diploma cover from Rhodes Graduation Services. Please contact RGS at 803.485.4503 or see Ms. Norwood in Room 206 if you have not done this. Students will receive the diploma cover as they walk across the stage. If you have earned a major and have not purchased the stole to represent your major, see Ms. Norwood in Room 206. The stoles are $12; checks will NOT be accepted.
Graduation will be Friday, June 8 at 8:00 a.m. in the Colonial Life Arena
- Dress Code for Graduation. Senior males should wear a white dress shirt and tie and dress slacks (khakis are acceptable). Any type of athletic shoe or Crocs are not acceptable. Senior females should wear a dress or skirt and blouse with dress shoes or dress sandals. Seniors may wear any honor cords or stoles they have earned that are presented to them by a DFHS academic organization. Students are not allowed to wear anything other than the traditional graduation regalia. That includes monogramming stoles and mortar board embellishments.
- Graduation Behavior. Graduates and their family and friends should be reminded that this is a formal ceremony for ALL graduates. Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Any senior who does not comply with the dress code for graduation will be allowed to participate in the ceremony, but the senior will have to return to DFHS at 8:00 a.m. Monday, June 11, for six hours of community service. Diplomas and final transcripts will not be issued until the community service is completed.
- Any senior who chooses to behave in a way that is disruptive to the ceremony will be removed from the ceremony and required to return to DFHS at 8:00 a.m. Monday, June 11, for six - ten hours of community service. Depending on the nature of the disruption, graduates also can be banned from all future DFHS events. Diplomas and final transcripts will not be issued until the community service is completed.
- Graduate Parking. Seniors will need to arrive at the Blossom Street Garage, 1244 Blossom Street, by 7:00 a.m. A shuttle designated for graduates ONLY will take the students to the Colonial Life Arena; the shuttle ride to Colonial Life Arena (CLA) is 15 minutes. There is no charge for graduates to park in this garage.
- Graduates Report. Graduates must report to the loading dock entrance (back of building) of the CLA by 7:15 a.m. to line up.
- Guests. Doors open for friends and family of the graduates at 7:30 a.m. No tickets are required for graduation. Each graduate may invite as many guests as needed. The graduation ceremony should be over by 9:30 a.m.
- CLA Requirements. CLA does NOT allow seats to be saved. The Arena does NOT allow balloons, beach balls, large packages, posters, flags, noise makers, floral arrangements, or food/drink.
- CLA Handicapped Seating. All wheelchair patrons are met at CLA’s doors and seated. One family member is allowed to sit with this patron.
- CLA Questions. If any families have general questions about the graduation ceremonies, please call the CLA guest services at 803.576.9062.
- Guest Parking. AT this time, the parking information is not confirmed. When it is confirmed, we will post the information on the DFHS website under the Graduation information.
- The graduation ceremony will be live stremed on the district website and live on the district’s Facebook page.
- Videos of the ceremony are available through Virtual Media at www.virtualmediaSC.com. Please visit the website for more information.
- GradImages® is the official photographer at the graduation ceremony. View and order photos by visiting www.gradimages.com or go to the website and click on Pre-Event Email Registration. Enter your email and up to six email addresses of loved ones who would like to share in your accomplishment by viewing and ordering your photos.
- Final transcripts and diplomas will be mailed home during the third week of June. Transcripts will also be mailed to colleges and universities at this time. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of School Counseling of where the transcript should be sent.
Please contact me if you have questions or concerns. Email is the most efficient method of communicating so that I can respond in a timely manner. You can also access any graduation information via the DFHS web page. Congratulations to you and your senior!
Allison Norwood, Graduation Advisor