Home of the Heroes
Harbison West Elementary PTO
Hello, Hero Families!
As we begin our 2017-2018 school year, and my second year as PTO President, I feel immense pride for what’s been accomplished and excitement for the year ahead. Last year, we grew our PTO significantly both through the number of volunteers and the amount of funds raised. I am so thankful for the team members that shared the many fun (and sometimes difficult) work experiences with me, and to all those families who showed support of our school and organization. We have done great things!!!
- As a school, we plugged away for over three years and raised enough money to purchase a rock wall for our gym. This is used for PE, but also for physical and occupational therapy. It’s all-inclusive and wonderful!
- During the second half of last year, we provided grade-level scholarships that helped offset field trip costs. We will continue to do the same this year and are increasing the scholarship amounts with the hope that all students will be able to participate in field trips – they’re educational and provide wonderful memories.
- HWES is known for their varied and strong after school club program line up. PTO has been a supporter of these wonderful clubs and the teachers that run them by helping with mini-grants.
- Did your child take home five free books in May 2017? This was a joint SIC-PTO effort to propel our student body into a summer full of reading and keeping that “Summer Slide” at bay.
- Other PTO-sponsored and supported events? Last year’s Winter Celebration, Black History Month performance, STEAM Day, the 4th & 5th grade Escolares play, field day, 5th grade graduation….
A major change to our PTO bylaws that was made last year, was to eliminate PTO membership dues. We are a welcoming group and know that all families want to see our school succeed…all folks living with our students are members of the PTO. That being said, we are still in need of a strong financial kick-off. In lieu of membership fees, we are asking for donations of any amount. If you can help, please click on the Paypal donation button below to help us out.
We will also be sending out periodic calls for volunteers, so look to get involved! Our first large annual event for which volunteers will be needed is the combined Fall Festival & Silent Auction during the evening on Friday, November 17th. Stay tuned for more info...
If you are interested in seeing what’s going on behind the scenes, stop by our combined SIC & PTO meetings. We’d love to see you!
With heartfelt gratitude,
President: Emily Soura
Box Tops Coordinator: Crystal Owens
Vice President: Rachel Acosta
Birthday Book Lunch: Faith Hunter
Treasurer: Tezra Haire
Teacher Liasons: Taryn Hixenbaugh & Jennifer Wahrmund
Secretary: Bobbi Constable
Spirit Night Coordinator: Amanda Arellano
Spirit Wear Coordinator:
Grant Proposals: Maria Shelley
Lending Library Maintenance: Ashley Thompson