HEC is a Leader in Me Lighthouse School
H. E. Corley Elementary Named a Leader in Me Lighthouse School
IRMO – H. E. Corley Elementary has been certified and named a Leader in Me Lighthouse School by FranklinCovey Education. This recognition is evidence that the school has produced outstanding results in school and student outcomes, by implementing the Leader in Me process with fidelity and excellence. It is also because of the extraordinary impact the school is having on staff, students, parents, and the greater community.
Jason Pollock, principal of H. E. Corley said. “I am so proud of our H. E. Corley family for earning this distinction of Lighthouse status given by Franklin Covey Education's The Leader in Me. This is an amazing accomplishment. We are continuously growing our young leaders to be learners for life. Great does happen here at HEC!”
Leader in Me is the guiding principle and organizing framework for H. E. Corley’s Leadership Magnet. The Leadership Magnet started at H. E. Corley in 2012 and uses FranklinCovey’s Leader in Me whole-school transformative model process. It teaches 21st century leadership and life skills to students and creates a culture of student empowerment based on the idea that every child can be a leader. Leader in Me is based on Steven R. Covey’s book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and the FranklinCovey training by the same name. The seven habits incorporate principles of personal and interpersonal effectiveness such as responsibility, vision, integrity, teamwork and collaboration.
The Lighthouse Certification is a highly-regarded standard set by FranklinCovey Education that is attainable by every Leader in Me school. As it is a significant benchmark, applying for this certification typically occurs three to five years after a school begins the Leader in Me process.
"I am so proud of H. E. Corley Leadership Magnet for receiving the prestigious recognition of being named a Leader in Me Lighthouse School,” said Sara Wheeler, School District Five Magnet Director. “The hard work and dedication put into this effort by the entire school community is to be applauded and appreciated."
Sean Covey, President, FranklinCovey Education, said, “We are thrilled to recognize H. E. Corley Elementary as a Leader in Me Lighthouse School. Schools who achieve this Lighthouse Certification are great examples of a strong leadership model and process, and of what it means to be a Leader in Me school. This school has experienced transformational results by implementing the principles and practices related to Leader in Me. And, we are so pleased and honored to celebrate the success they are experiencing.”
Since its official launch nearly a decade ago, nearly 4,000 public, private, and charter schools across 50 countries have adopted the Leader in Me process, while more than 300 schools have achieved the prestigious Lighthouse certification. It is earned by schools that demonstrate the following:
- The principal, school administration and staff engage in ongoing learning and develop as leaders, while championing leadership for the school.
- Leadership principles are effectively taught to all students through direct lessons, integrated approaches, and staff modeling. Students are able to think critically about and apply leadership principles.
- Families and the school partner together in learning about the 7 Habits and leadership principles through effective communication and mutual respect.
- The school community is able to see leadership in the physical environment, hear leadership through the common language of the 7 Habits, and feel leadership through a culture of caring, relationships, and affirmation.
- Leadership is shared with students through a variety of leadership roles and student voice leads to innovations within the school.
- Schoolwide, classroom, family and community leadership events provide authentic environments to celebrate leadership, build culture, and allow students to practice leadership skills.
- The school utilizes the 4DX® process to identify and track progress toward Wildly Important Goals (WIGs) for the school, classroom, and staff.
- Students lead their own learning with the skills to assess their needs, set appropriate goals, and carry out action plans. They track progress toward goals in Leadership Notebooks and share these notebooks with adults in student-led conferences.
- Teacher planning and reflection, trusting relationships, and student-led learning combine to create environments for highly engaged learning.
H. E. Corley will maintain its Lighthouse Certification the next two years and will continue to foster its growth and proficiency in exemplifying a leadership culture and principles. At the end of the two years H. E. Corley will be able to recertify its Lighthouse Certification through a virtual self-assessment, describing and celebrating its growth and accomplishments since its original Lighthouse designation.
School District Five Superintendent Dr. Christina Melton said, “The faculty and staff of H. E. Corley is to be commended for earning Lighthouse status! This accomplishment is the result of dedication of learning and classroom application. Our faculty is applauded for their commitment to provide this magnet opportunity to prepare leaders for the next generation.”
Learn more about the Leader in Me process, please visit http://www.theleaderinme.org/.