School District Five announces temporary return to hybrid model for in-person 7-12 grade students
Lexington-Richland School District Five is announcing plans to temporarily return in-person students in grades 7-12 to a hybrid learning model beginning on Monday, December 7, in response to COVID-19.
This action comes after a special-called Board meeting on Dec. 2, when the Board voted to have 7-12 grade students return to a hybrid (2-day in-person instruction, per week) model. Students in grades 4K-6 will continue to attend school in person 4 days per week.
Students in grades 7-12 will return to a 4-day instructional model after winter break (Monday, Jan. 4), per the motion approved by the Board.
The Board also approved the district to make the last two days before winter break (Dec. 17 and Dec. 18) distance learning days for all students in School District Five, including 4K-6 grade students.
- 7-12 Grade Students in Cohort A will report in-person on Monday, Dec. 7; Tuesday, Dec. 8; Monday, Dec. 14; and Tuesday, Dec. 15.
- 7-12 Grade Students in Cohort B will report in-person to school on Thursday, Dec. 10 and Friday, Dec. 11.
- 4K-6 Grade Students will continue to attend school in-person 4 days per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday).
- Wednesdays will continue to be a distance learning day for all students (4K-12) in School District Five.
- December 17 and December 18 will be distance learning days for all students (4K-12) in School District Five.
- Cohorts Reminder: Students in grades 7-12 will return to the cohort they were in for the start of the school year.
- Cohort A - Mondays and Tuesdays - Students with Last Names A through K
- Cohort A will include students with Last Names A through K. These students will report to school in-person on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesdays are distance learning days for students on a hybrid schedule, and Cohort A also will have distance learning days on Thursday and Friday.
- If a parent previously requested a cohort change through the school administration and was approved to be in Cohort A, this request is still approved.
- Cohort B - Thursdays and Fridays - Students with Last Names L through Z
- Cohort B will include students with Last Names L through Z. These students will report to school in-person on Thursday and Friday. Wednesdays are distance learning days for students on a hybrid schedule, and Cohort B will have distance learning days on Monday and Tuesday.
- If a parent previously requested a cohort change through the school administration and was approved to be in Cohort B, this request is still approved.
- New students, recently enrolled students or students who have recently transitioned from FIVE to in-person will be assigned to a cohort based on their last name (A-K in Cohort A and L-Z in Cohort B). Students wanting to switch their cohorts should contact their school administration.
The district's Flexible Innovative Virtual Education (FIVE) virtual program will continue during all in-person learning models.
Schools may utilize a 100% distance learning model during any phase if needed in response to COVID-19. Phases and dates can be modified, contingent upon reentry considerations.
During the special-called meeting on Nov. 30, the Board approved a motion to have the district create a webpage “dashboard” for reporting COVID-19 positive cases and quarantine cases in schools. The data, which will be updated weekly, will separately record “numbers of FIVE teachers and students…”, the Board determined.
Recordings of board meetings are posted on the district’s “Board Information” tab after the meetings. To learn more about school board meetings, please visit: https://bit.ly/2ZeKp5F.
REMINDER: Self-Screening Checklist, COVID Communications Guide and COVID-19 Exposure Flowchart
Safety is a top priority. School District Five of Lexington & Richland Counties has worked in collaboration with health officials to establish health protocols for the 2020-21 school year, in response to COVID-19. Students and staff will be asked to complete daily self-screenings before reporting to school/district campuses. District schools will follow DHEC guidance regarding the management of suspected and confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- Click the following link to see the district’s self-screening checklist:
- Click the following link to see the district’s COVID-19 Exposure Flowchart:
- For DHEC guidelines regarding the management of suspected and confirmed COVID-19 cases, click the following link:
- View our COVID-19 Communications Guide:
- View DHEC's School COVID-19 Report:
For more information on health and safety protocols, click the "20-21 COVID-19 Information" tab on our district website or visit www.lexrich5.org/20-21reentry.